Mindfulness Accreditation

Created: 08/30/17 02:05:48PM by simon-tebbenham

Last Update: 09/08/17 04:06:15AM by William4
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
Simon Tebbenham
@simon-tebbenham

08/30/17 02:05:48PM

391 posts

Just been investigating 'Mindfulness' - and it seems mindfulness is taken fairly seriously as a 'science' - offered at postgraduate level in universities, for example, and practitioners working in recognised health bodies and education settings. I was just wondering if there was an 'official' route for becoming a Mindfulness practitioner? i.e. a recognised certification that might be taken seriously by an educational institution, for example. With the brief research I've done, I've seen everything from $30 'CPD' certificates to £9000 post-grad courses. Does anyone know where the industry stands on this, compared to free-for-all hypnotherapy? Is it just the same boat?

Cheers :)

Simon

seabrz
@seabrz

08/30/17 02:42:37PM

11 posts

In the US, UMass is highly regarded by healthcare professionals for their mindfulness training. https://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/ 

I believe many of their courses are open and some are online.

Alain Koningverdraag
@alain-koningverdraag

08/31/17 10:05:06AM

2 posts

People actually charge money to teach something that a whole host of zen to buddhist to shaolin monks and other traditional martial arts practitioners have been freely teaching for centuries if not thousands of years? There is obviously something to the nicely packaged and presented stuff - with a high price tag. xD

Simon Tebbenham
@simon-tebbenham

08/31/17 11:48:57AM

391 posts

No doubt :) 

The reason for my question, to fill you in, is that I work a lot with schools helping them to reinforce their core values and raise their profile as a brand. I find a lot of overlap with what I know about hypnosis and the power of the subconscious mind, and recently I've been surprised to see several schools embrace 'mindfulness' as their whole emphasis of core values/mission statement/ethos.

So, education being governed, I was wondering what official routes people may be taking to get their knowledge and be judged 'qualified' to spread the word. 

Graham Old
@graham-old

08/31/17 05:49:07PM

2,252 posts

Simon, there are no routes to official accreditation. It's more about who or where you studied, as to whether or not you'd be taken seriously.

What country are you in? 

Simon Tebbenham
@simon-tebbenham

09/01/17 01:18:52AM

391 posts

I'm in the UK dude - although a lot of the schools I refer to are international schools , delivering UK curriculum, that seem to have embraced the mindfulness thing.

Graham Old
@graham-old

09/01/17 07:35:13AM

2,252 posts

Simon Tebbenham
@simon-tebbenham

09/01/17 07:58:34AM

391 posts

Thanks Graham

Patrick Molloy
@patrick-molloy

09/06/17 01:12:53PM

22 posts

The thing is that this is being packaged and sold as a technique or a course that can be easily taught to others, but fundamentally it requires experience and extensive time investment. I could do a course of 2 hours or 2 years and unless I have personal experience with it, it will be the blind leading the blind. The truth is that most will take a look at it, think it's great (or not) and do very little. It's a bit 'flavour of the month' at the moment so I guess there is some money in it.

William4
@william4

09/08/17 02:21:12AM

3 posts

In the UK check out .b - they're the most widely recognised in terms of bringing mindfulness into schools, and have teacher training programs for different age groups. I know several people who had been trained by them, and they were impressed by the quality of the course.

https://mindfulnessinschools.org/what-is-b/b-curriculum/

Mindfulness is not quite the same free-for-all as hypnosis - but it's close, as there's no legislation in place regarding training/accreditation (same for most therapy in the UK since the coalition government scrapped plans for regulation). However, there is the UK Network of Mindfulness Teachers - which publishes guidelines on teacher training and assessment. Any training that matches their requirements should be legit.

One of the early problems was the lack of training outside of Degree courses, which were impractical for many therapists to train with - now there's a lot more choice, but, as you've found, less clarity about what is 'legit'! Generally, anything that is set at CPD level will be little more than a taster, and leave you ill equipped to work with clients in a professional way. BTW, If you're interested in mindfulness in the therapy room, Acceptance & Commitment Therapy is a well established, evidence based therapy  - technically, it's a mindfulness-based behaviour therapy, but it has some fundamental differences to most strains of CBT.

Always worth keeping in mind that mindfulness itself is not a therapy - though these days plenty of people are turning towards it in the belief that it will help them with their difficulties.

Share This