What has happened?

Created: 05/03/17 03:12:02AM by james-russell

Last Update: 09/29/17 10:10:44PM by Michael Silva
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
james russell
@james-russell

05/03/17 03:12:02AM

2 posts

I've been away from the site (and indeed hypnosis) for a couple of years, upon my return i immediately head to hypnothoughts to catch up, what has happened? There seems very little in the way of discussion or new content, also where has the weekly webinar gone? it was something i used to enjoy every week even though it was a 2am start here in the uk.

updated by @james-russell: 09/27/17 12:13:40PM

Jared Thomas
@jared-thomas

05/04/17 07:46:01PM

12 posts

Apparently there is declining interest in Hypnothoughts, although I'm at a loss to figure out why this should be.  I enjoyed the weekly webinar, but, as James noted, that vanished.  I still check in at Hypnothoughts from time to time but there seems to be relatively little happening.  Perhaps there is some sort of "life cycle" involved and Hypnothoughts is simply dying.  It would be a shame because there's nothing else quite like it.

John Cleesattel
@john-cleesattel

05/04/17 09:23:06PM

3,184 posts

As far as I can tell... Hypnothoughts is right where it wants to be and has fought hard to get here.

RichardNongard.com
@richardnongardcom

05/05/17 12:17:24AM

2,215 posts

Welcome back!   Scott had a baby a year ago, and I had some significant health problems (like throat surgery) which made it hard to speak.    But Scott's kid is growing, and I am on the road to recovery! I even taught a whole class at the heartland Hypnosis Conference without losing my voice!  

I think the interest in hypnosis and hypnotherapy is higher than ever, but facebook groups have become quite popular, and it is hard to grow groups here when Zuerkerberg has a bigger tech budget, and people are already spending time there.

But that does not take away for HT.  Perhaps not as much discussion, but the discussions are active with many great contributions!

Glad to be going on about my 8th year here!   Seems just like yesterday it all started.

And of course, this gave birth to the Las Vegas convention HTLive.net which this year, will have more people than ever, sharing in a really great way!

Best Wishes,

Richard

Hyperempiria
@hyperempiria

05/05/17 05:42:06AM

127 posts

RichardNongard.com:
And of course, this gave birth to the Las Vegas convention HTLive.net which this year, will have more people than ever, sharing in a really great way!   Best Wishes, Richard

Hi Richard,

About three or four years ago, you called me and invited me to come and present  at the Hypnothoughts conference, which was going on as we were speaking. You even offered a free room. It was clear that the conference was lagging and you wanted to infuse it with something -- anything, even me!

"Well, what are you meeting in Podunk, Texas for?" i asked. Why don't you meet in Las Vegas? That's where everybody goes. They want you to gamble, so they have kept the prices of the rooms deliberately cheap. And it all depends on how much booze you drink. if you don't drink any, and you don't gamble you can make out like a tall dog. And there are plenty of meeting rooms available, too." There was a moment's silence on the other end of the line, and after a few pleasantries, the conversation ws concluded. But the next year, HT met in Las Vegas.

Now I woud like to sound another warning. In defending this data base, you guys sound like a Christian Scientist with appendicitis! If you find a sudden drop off in attendance at HT, you'll see what a false economy it was trying to save money by going to this sore excuse for a data base. Trying to find anything on this search engine is like checking your underwear after breaking wind. Either there's nothing there, or it's something that you did not want to see.

As Golda Meir once said about the relationship between Israel and the United States, "Your friend will argue with you." We've got to find an alternative to this el cheapo data base if we want to get back to the good old days. We my survive, and even grow. So did the California redwood trees -- but look how long it took them!

Your friend,

Don

updated by @hyperempiria: 05/05/17 05:44:49AM

VeniceStu
@venicestu

05/05/17 09:33:30AM

231 posts

If this site just charged a small fee say, $1.99,. It would soon have enough funds to handle the volume and develop a database that's worth searching. I'm sure they could tap into the database of presenters @ htl to develop classes on hypnothoughts that anyone would see the benefits of joining a payed site. Presenters could get exposure to new students and fill their pre/post seminars, a win win solution to a known problem. But nothing will save this site if you can't get involvement from the brain. The brain is key and the Generals need support to keep the soldiers in line.

Dave_I
@dave-i

05/05/17 10:40:25AM

534 posts

A few cordial thoughts from the peanut
RichardNongard.com:Welcome back!   Scott had a baby a year ago, and I had some significant health problems (like throat surgery) which made it hard to speak.    But Scott's kid is growing, and I am on the road to recovery! I even taught a whole class at the heartland Hypnosis Conference without losing my voice!

Those are all appreciable life changes, and
Quote: I think the interest in hypnosis and hypnotherapy is higher than ever, but facebook groups have become quite popular, and it is hard to grow groups here when Zuerkerberg has a bigger tech budget, and people are already spending time there.

I only partially agree with you there. Facebook is increasingly popular. And yet...I come here for something other than one person's FB group or focus. This is (or was) a central gathering spot that did a great job of gathering people all in one spot and seemed to pretty much get rid of the bias you had with a lot of the FB groups. Sure, it's Scott's (techno) baby, and yet was a great place to come for discussion on a pretty high level.

There is still space for that. Maybe that ends up being HypnoThoughts-Facebook. Not everybody will like that, and there is still a place for forums like this. I would love to see a return to prominence, and the timeline of the drop-off here coincides with the revamp, and perhaps with the privatization of the page from Google as Barry said. It was not specifically correlative to anything Facebook did insofar as I can
Hyperempiria:Hi Richard,   About three or four years ago, you called me and invited me to come and present  at the Hypnothoughts conference, which was going on as we were speaking. You even offered a free room. It was clear that the conference was lagging and you wanted to infuse it with something -- anything, even me!

Hey Don, as far as I have heard from attendees, HTLive is doing well and growing. When I was there a few years ago it was pretty packed, and it has reportedly grown even more so. I would have loved to have seen you there, FWIW. Maybe there was a lull that has since reversed, or maybe they just were wanting you there that badly.
Quote: We've got to find an alternative to this el cheapo data base if we want to get back to the good old days. We my survive, and even grow. So did the California redwood trees -- but look how long it took them!   Your friend,   Don  

I think we need some sort of change if this is to survive. Enough of us are passionate enough to keep revisiting and griping about things, even though we could just go on Facebook, and the number of people who used to come and do not is pretty substantial, that I think this is worth saving. However, post-revamp it has not bounced back. I hope it can.

-Cheers

Megatalented
@megatalented

05/05/17 03:17:07PM

401 posts

Dave-i once called me wise. That made my day. That was on chat. I also have no idea where we are on The Americans now. 

Boom.

updated by @megatalented: 05/05/17 03:17:28PM

Don G.
@don-g

09/25/17 08:48:22AM

1,550 posts

james russell:
I've been away from the site (and indeed hypnosis) for a couple of years, upon my return i immediately head to hypnothoughts to catch up, what has happened? There seems very little in the way of discussion or new content, also where has the weekly webinar gone? it was something i used to enjoy every week even though it was a 2am start here in the uk.

HI James,

We are now obviously in a parallel Universe from the one we were in before. Facebook has about two billion people, which is well over one quarteer of the eligible population of the planet! You Tube is crawling with hypnosis videos; and,in another context, Hillary Clinton has written a book entitled, "What Really Happened?" Even the FBI is asking the same question, with the results sitill unclear.

HT has always been an incubator for startups, some of which have really taken off and some of which have fallen by the wayside. HT itself has not really changed in this regard, despite the fact that it has been dwarfed by its offspring, not all of whom acknowlefge their true paternity.

Most of the "stars" of Hypnothoughts have adapted to this new Unniverse by becoming multi-faceted themselves. You can write and publish your own books absoluteluy free  through Amazon, without hving to run the gauntlet of agents, editors, and reviewers.  You can blog, and you can post on You Tube to your heart's content. 

I see many former new Yorkers in my psychology practice who miss the old neighborhoods they grew up in. But they, too, have moved on., which is why I'm seeing them here in South Jersey. Times change, and I have a feeling that I will miss this old neighborhood too someday in the not too distant future.

Best,

Don

updated by @don-g: 09/25/17 11:24:30AM

Kelley Woods
@kelley-woods

09/25/17 05:06:33PM

3,124 posts

Why is it that the folks who move away from the neighborhood they loved return one day and ask, "What happened?!"

Share This