What's Up With Hypnosis Inductions?

Created: 08/31/17 10:20:51AM by don-spencer

Last Update: 09/04/17 04:27:48PM by Don Spencer
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
Don Spencer
@don-spencer

08/31/17 10:20:51AM

8 posts

Over the years folks in the hypnosis world have been scrambling to create OR recreate, reframe and repackage how hypnosis is produced.

You have direct, indirect, multi-level, conversational, nlp, etc...  
You have suggestibility testing..  and do you find it at all relevant?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you find to be the most effective hypnotic work and why..

Thanks for your input and as always..  keep on trancin'

Don
www.SleepNow.com™

updated by @don-spencer: 08/31/17 02:21:39PM

John Cleesattel
@john-cleesattel

08/31/17 10:39:18AM

3,176 posts

Hi Don,

Everyone is different so in my mind there is not a "one size fits all golden induction".

The induction I use most often in my office is not the quickest or the coolest of the inductions I know, but is constructed in a way that works hand in hand with the pretalk I use so they already understand how to do what I ask them to do, provides continual feedback as to how successful the client is in following my instructions, and sets them up for the change work we are going to do all at the same time.

That said; if my client runs into problems with that induction (which I know from the feedback I get), I can switch gears in a heartbeat to another type of induction that may work better for the client.

Don Spencer
@don-spencer

08/31/17 11:36:50AM

8 posts

Hi John,

Great answer! I like you can switch it up in a heartbeat!

Don

Graham Old
@graham-old

08/31/17 05:51:25PM

2,251 posts

I find the induction to be the most important part of what I do. Sometimes, it's all I do! 

init
@init

09/01/17 05:58:32AM

489 posts

All change, be it hypnosis or hypnotic production, is the result of the internal map of the environment. 

Dilts got it wrong when he put environment at the bottom of his logical levels of change. He should have put it nearer to the top because environment certainly affects behaviour, didn't it.

Hypnotists say they make things less real because the better the hallucination, the more real it becomes.

Unconscious minds tend to choose the familiar and hypnosis can make that more or less real.

In fact, the best hypnotists simply mind-read what's there.

Don Spencer
@don-spencer

09/01/17 07:17:25AM

8 posts

Graham Old:
I find the induction to be the most important part of what I do. Sometimes, it's all I do! 

Life is an induction don't you think ;-)

Don Spencer
@don-spencer

09/01/17 07:28:36AM

8 posts

init:
All change, be it hypnosis or hypnotic production, is the result of the internal map of the environment.  Dilts got it wrong when he put environment at the bottom of his logical levels of change. He should have put it nearer to the top because environment certainly affects behaviour, didn't it. Hypnotists say they make things less real because the better the hallucination, the more real it becomes. Unconscious minds tend to choose the familiar and hypnosis can make that more or less real. In fact, the best hypnotists simply mind-read what's there.

I knew you were going to say that if I'm reading you correctly. ;-)

Simon Tebbenham
@simon-tebbenham

09/01/17 07:56:27AM

392 posts

I've done a fair few rapid induction courses in recent years, I like to still do them, now and again for extra practice. It's interesting to be on the receiving end of co-learners when such experimentation and techniques are still in the stages of conscious incompetence. Some of the most effective inductions, looking at it from that topsy-turvy side, have been the ones I really didn't expect. My hands are still stinging, two years on, from one guy who went for a slap/shock during magnetic hands with what seemed like a full backswing, gritted teeth and a decade or two of built-up frustration - but one of the most effective inductions of which I had been on the receiving end. 

Expectation of hypnosis is one thing, but for me - on the receiving end - not necessarily expectation of the actualities of the routine to come, if anything the opposite!

Don Spencer
@don-spencer

09/01/17 08:03:18AM

8 posts

Simon Tebbenham:
I've done a fair few rapid induction courses in recent years, I like to still do them, now and again for extra practice. It's interesting to be on the receiving end of co-learners when such experimentation and techniques are still in the stages of conscious incompetence. Some of the most effective inductions, looking at it from that topsy-turvy side, have been the ones I really didn't expect. My hands are still stinging, two years on, from one guy who went for a slap/shock during magnetic hands with what seemed like a full backswing, gritted teeth and a decade or two of built-up frustration - but one of the most effective inductions of which I had been on the receiving end.  Expectation of hypnosis is one thing, but for me - on the receiving end - not necessarily expectation of the actualities of the routine to come, if anything the opposite!    

Nice!  Those shock inductions can certainly "shock" your nervous system for quite some time....

Tim Bartley
@tim-bartley

09/04/17 07:06:49AM

126 posts

If I don't use an instant induction I like to use an Elman or whatever but for the deepener I use a confusion induction.  I find it works really well especially if you are doing the very first session with a client and have no idea if they will be thinking too much.  This usually gets around that.

Below is the confusion part that I use.  I change things like hearing the music in the background to hearing or not hearing anything in the background... you'll get what I'm talking about...

Seven Plus or Minus Two
(Confusion induction)
   Use this induction with analytical or intellectually orientated clients. It contains elements of confusion and since it is almost impossible to resist, it works particularly well with those who tend to find 'normal' relaxation inductions uncomfortable. Use a 'standard' preparation to begin. Eyes are closed...

"All right, just allow yourself to be as lazy as you want to be... listening quietly to the sound of my voice... and while you're listening quietly to the sound of my voice concentrate for a few moments on your breathing... breathing slowly and steadily, just as though you were sound asleep, or pretending to be sound asleep... and imagining just how comfortable you might look while you're relaxing there in the chair... using the power of your mind to see yourself in your mind's eye... and then using the power of your mind to do whatever has to happen to make you look even more relaxed... and still thinking about your breathing, making quite sure that each breath in lasts the same length of time as the last breath in... and each breath outwards lasts the same length of time as the last breath out... even though each breath in will probably be slightly shorter than each breath out... and while you're thinking about your breathing, noticing, perhaps, the weight of your head against the back of the chair... and still listening quietly to the sound of my voice...

And while you're listening quietly to the sound of my voice, it maybe that you'll become aware that you've forgotten to think about your breathing... but that's all right, you can just simply start thinking about your breathing again, while you're listening quietly to the sound of my voice and what I'm saying to you here... there's a rule called seven plus or minus two… and that means that most people can think of seven things all at once - plus or minus two... So you should be able to think of at least five things all at the same time... the sound of my voice... the steadiness of your breathing... the weight of your head against the back of the chair... and how you might look from the outside... and that's four things... so you can think of those four things while you're listening to the sound of the music in the background... so that's five things, now... and I wonder if you can think about those five things and then at the same time notice the way your feet feel on the footrest of the chair... and perhaps how your arms feel... and that's seven things now... the sound of my voice... the weight of your head against the back of the chair... the music playing in the background... the way you look while you're relaxing... and your breathing... and your arms... and your feet on the footrest... and I wonder if you can now add an eighth thing into all of that... I wonder if your mind is powerful enough to think of seven plus one things... adding in, perhaps, an awareness of he temperature of the room... and then just testing to see whether you can add yet another input to your senses... so that you're thinking of NINE things all at once... that's seven plus two... thinking about all those eight inputs to your senses and then maybe adding an awareness of the way your eyes feel while you're thinking about all those other things... the weight of your head... your breathing... the music in the background... how you look from the outside... the temperature of the room... your feet on the footrest... your arms... the sound of my voice... and how your eyes feel...

The weight of your head... your breathing... the music in the background... how you look from the outside... the temperature of the room... your feet on the footrest... your arms... the sound of my voice... and how your eyes feel... and of course, when anybody thinks of all these things, what they are really doing is scanning round them one after the other... very quickly... so quickly, it feels as if you're thinking of them all at once... sharing your available resources between the different tasks you are attempting to perform all at once... and that's why some people can think of only five things... while others can actually think of nine things... and I wonder how well your memory is working as you struggle to remember those nine things... the weight of your head... your breathing... the music in the background... how you look from the outside... the temperature of the room... your feet on the footrest... your arms... the sound of my voice... and how your eyes feel...

And now you can think how good it will feel when you simply allow yourself to think of only the most important thing of all... concentrating all your energies onto that one most important thing of all... which is going to be so easy to think of, now that you are going to allow yourself to think of only one thing instead of nine... and that one thing is how good it feels to think of only one thing... thinking how relaxed you can be now... you're only thinking of how relaxed you might like to be... relaxing in your mind... and in your body... no need to think anything at all, really... no need to do anything... nobody wanting anything and nobody expecting anything... and absolutely nothing whatsoever for you to do except to... relax.

Share This