Chemotherapy side effects

Created: 05/18/17 03:12:32AM by matthew-ian-bradley

Last Update: 06/04/17 12:53:55PM by Kevin Cole
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
matthew ian bradley
@matthew-ian-bradley

05/18/17 03:12:32AM

123 posts

Hi, i was wondering if anyone had an effective way of dealing with the side effects of chemo. I have a skype client who started chemo again on Monday after a 5yr reprieve and feels nausea, cant swallow and everything tastes of metal.

I had my 1st call with her last Saturday where i helped with her anxiety and her anticipated reaction to the treatment. She was very pleased with the results however she called late last night feeling terrible and im skyping her later today. I also got her to spin then reverse spin the nausea which worked well. Any input would be fabulous so thanks in advance. The cancer is in her throat.

matt

Kelley Woods
@kelley-woods

05/19/17 08:49:54AM

3,112 posts

Hi Matt,

Yes, this is an area where we can really make a difference for a client going through cancer treatment. Ideally, you get to work with them prior to starting so you can work on expectation of how they will respond (a current client is delighted to find that his only side effect from chemo is hair loss).

Some object imagery will probably be effective for not only nausea, but that metallic taste and swallowing difficulty. Encourage her to come up with her own metaphors for the thoughts, sensations, etc. and help her manipulate them for comfort.

Most Cancer Care clients are struggling with the emotional toll of having the disease - so be sure to pay close attention to what is stressing her in life besides her health challenge: finances, relationships, not being able to attend to work/chores, etc. Relieving her of those pressures will better enable her to respond to her treatment.

One of my clients had oral cancer and experienced a constant drainage in the throat (irradiated cells were sloughing off) - we were able to isolate the sensation and compartmentalize it so that she paid little attention to it. Creative visualization is your friend!

Finally, take a page from Ellner's book and promote having fun to this woman. Find out what makes her zing and give her that, in hypnosis, and encourage her to do it regularly in her every day life, too! Hope is realistic!

Kelley Woods
@kelley-woods

05/19/17 08:53:16AM

3,112 posts

PS - If you share your email address, I'll send you an mp3 I made for clients who are going through these types of challenges. She can use it to activate a relaxation response and feel better...

matthew ian bradley
@matthew-ian-bradley

05/20/17 12:33:13AM

123 posts

Hi Kelley

lovely to hear from you and thanks for taking the time to reply. Excellent advise as always. 

I came in late on her journey so managing expectations to a degree has been more of a challenge (shes been there before.) My second call was complicated as she had just been to hospital and she felt sick for most of the call. In hindsight i should have cut short the call but i always feel i can do something. i worked on visualisation, anxiety and the nausea however the very thought  of it made her gag. Bad case of anticipated reaction which i will talk to her about next time. I always try and keep things light i was a bad stand up comedian in another life.

Thanks again for the info and offer of the mp3. My email address is

mbradleyhypnotherapy@gmail.com

website; mattbradleyhypnotherapy.com

Michael Ellner
@michael-ellner

05/21/17 05:07:08AM

5,814 posts

Hi Matt,

Collapse Anchors -- Collapse Anchors -- Collapse Anchors...

ME

John Cleesattel
@john-cleesattel

05/21/17 10:37:50AM

3,176 posts

I have had success with chemo side effects using the comfort adjustment technique.

Everything we experience is provided to us as a interpretation for understanding... that's why we can change it.

John

matthew ian bradley
@matthew-ian-bradley

05/22/17 09:56:14AM

123 posts

Hi Micheal

Thanks for sharing; do you have a preferred method specifically that could be used with skype ?

Hi John

I use your comfort adjustment Technic regularly after making sure its safe to do so. One women who said she shouldn't be seeing me as it came into conflict with her religious beliefs, was amazed when her arthritic hand stopped giving her pain. She could carry on using it with more feeling and movement. I saw her a month later and she thanked me again then said..... don't get me wrong,  i still think you should be burned at the stake.......I think she was only half joking! 

Thanks.

Michael Ellner
@michael-ellner

05/22/17 11:56:55AM

5,814 posts

Collapsing Anchors

1. Open and close your eyes… Inhale and exhale deeply… Now create a safe space in your mind and allow yourself to feel whatever is disturbing or upsetting In this case everything related to chemo) … get in touch with the unwanted feelings and sensations and as you do…make a fist with your right hand … then, release the fist and relax your hand.

2. Inhale, and exhale deeply and gently… Open and close your eyes.

3. Now picture yourself in your mind as follows: You are having a great day, filled with a sense of well-being. Perhaps you imagine yourself doing something you really love, whether you are by yourself or with someone you care about. Your skin is glowing with health, your eyes are sparkling with confidence, and there is a big smile on your face … your heart is hopeful, your mind is peaceful and your spirit is playful. 

Excellent…now enjoy those feelings as you make a fist with your left hand … then release the fist.

4. Now inhale and exhale deeply and gently… open and close your eyes. Okay...now… count to five and at the count of five, make a fist with both hands at the same time. Now mentally count to five and open your fists… 

5. Now, try to get back in touch with the unwanted feelings and emotions.

John Cleesattel
@john-cleesattel

05/22/17 01:10:42PM

3,176 posts

matthew ian bradley:
Hi Micheal Thanks for sharing; do you have a preferred method specifically that could be used with skype ?   Hi John I use your comfort adjustment Technic regularly after making sure its safe to do so. One women who said she shouldn't be seeing me as it came into conflict with her religious beliefs, was amazed when her arthritic hand stopped giving her pain. She could carry on using it with more feeling and movement. I saw her a month later and she thanked me again then said..... don't get me wrong,  i still think you should be burned at the stake.......I think she was only half joking!  Thanks.

Glad to see you using the technique, it is really powerful stuff.
My response to comments such as hers... And how about the folks that gave us aspirin? LOL
John

matthew ian bradley
@matthew-ian-bradley

05/23/17 09:28:23AM

123 posts

Hi Michael

Brilliant thanks again. Im more of a hands on guy when i collapse anchors lol. Never tried it like that.

John. 

Powerful stuff indeed. I also think my head spinning 360 degrees clouded her judgement lol.

Share This