Hasn't driven for Twenty five years.

Created: 08/25/16 08:22:06AM by matthew-ian-bradley

Last Update: 08/26/16 08:05:39AM by matthew ian bradley
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
matthew ian bradley
@matthew-ian-bradley

08/25/16 08:22:06AM

123 posts

Hi. After two months of telephone calls I finally get to meet the guy who says nobody can help him. He lives in the uk but has a holiday home in France where we live. Two weeks ago we agree to meet ,I go to him as he lives 2hrs away and he is also afraid of open spaces and my office is in the centre of a largish town. Also he has problems walking.

25yrs ago he fell down some stairs and from that day he has never driven on large roads. Last year he put twenty miles on his clock. He owns an MOT certification station and a garage which he finds funny. He also worked in submarines!

I spent a good 2hrs talking about what happened and letting him know that it was a case of misplaced info rather like a computer and that like a computer we would start with a de fragmentation lEMDR. He is a practical guy and bought into the what ifs I presented him with.ie the part of him protecting him thought it had not fulfilled it's task. After the EMDR he felt great,less anxious and felt less pain in his leg. I explained when you carry emotions that tyre you, the pain signal often felt more acute. Then as he was enjoying it I showed him how to turn his own pain signal down. Also convincing him more of the body communication. At this point he said the anxiety of driving he could get was down to a four out of ten. Later I hypnotised him and future paced him taking him over a high bridge. Afterwards he took me for a drive down some small roads and then turned onto a motor way. When we got back he announced it was easy and had no anxiety at all. He payed me. Not the million pounds he said he would if I could help him though!

Anyway.....two days ago he told me it was back... but still no pain in his hip and leg......any ideas?

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/25/16 09:33:26AM

3,187 posts

HI

First thought.

You used EMDR and brought the anxiety down to 4 (suds).

Why did you not keep going and bring it down to zero?

Did you elicit the belief he had about his problem and did you elicit a counter belief and install that with EMDR?

Personally as you know that he responds to EMDR I would repeat this but work with at least 3 events.

The first or earliest time he had the problem

The worst time

And the last time.

I would elicit the core belief he has about the problem and get suds for the strength of that and the counter belief and check this when you have done the above and then install the new belief.

I would probably then future pace the heck out of it and have him try hard in vain to feel the old fear.

regards

Barry

Jeff Denison
@jeff-denison

08/25/16 08:25:41PM

73 posts

You can say: "Yes, I was waiting for you to say that, now, it's time for the other step and finally moving past that issue."

Maybe future pace with a build in backslide of sorts. 

Jeff

matthew ian bradley
@matthew-ian-bradley

08/26/16 05:25:10AM

123 posts

Hi Barry, yes sorry I did another two EMDR 's but I didn't think of using the other events as you suggested so thanks very much. I'm seeing him again on Monday so will do as you suggest...always generous with you knowledge. Thanks

Jeff...good idea thanks.

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/26/16 05:56:54AM

3,187 posts

Hi Matthew,

Remember, EMDR isn't just about waving your hand in front of their face. You should elicit their current belief about the situation and rate it, and the what they would like to believe about it and also the feeling and where it is located in the body.

Also you want to bring the SUDs down to at least 1 or less.

regards

Barry

matthew ian bradley
@matthew-ian-bradley

08/26/16 08:05:39AM

123 posts

Hi Barry. Sure, I spend a long time before hand having established the emotion deconstructing the validity of it and getting an intellectual agreement. In fact sometimes now the emotion goes without using the emdr. The only time I let a 1 go now is if it's anger, so they don't repeat the mistake!

Thanks again 

Share This