Morning Sickness

Created: 10/06/17 08:00:27AM by thomas-houle

Last Update: 10/10/17 01:04:46PM by Kelley Woods
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
Thomas Houle
@thomas-houle

10/06/17 08:00:27AM

98 posts

I have a client who is in her 11th week and wishing to come in for a session. She said the doctors have tried everything, did clarify that statement. I am in California, do I need a referral letter from her doctor before I see her? And any suggestions on how to proceed with the session.

Kelley Woods
@kelley-woods

10/06/17 04:55:36PM

3,124 posts

Hi Thomas,

While you probably don't need permission from this woman's doctor to work with you, I recommend that you send them a letter letting them know you are doing so. Being part of her team is a good thing.

There is a lot you can do to relieve her suffering. Once you hear her tell you how she is experiencing it, you will get some ideas. An interesting point about severe morning sickness is that women often get relief when they are hospitalized and then it returns once they are home again. You don't need to tell her this, obviously, but this does point out the psychological influence on the condition.

In addition to releasing any fears or stress about feeling nauseated or pregnant in general, teaching her how to change the sensations so they are more tolerable or even pleasant will go far. I might use some NLP, like an anchor collapse, or object imagery, in which she gives a representation to the feelings and then gains control over it.

Reframing the saliva response can also do wonders. For people who are nauseated, the mouth can suddenly fill with saliva, alerting them that they are about to get sick. A Spanish doctor, Angel Escuardo, developed an approach he dubbed "noesi therapy" in which he elicits the production of saliva. This is based on the idea that a stressed person doesn't salivate. The production of saliva in turn reduces stress and anxiety. This idea chimes in nicely with our "lemon convincer" so I often tie them together.

If you can associate saliva production with feeling good, you will hand this client a tool she can use in many ways through her pregnancy and delivery.

Thomas Houle
@thomas-houle

10/10/17 09:06:49AM

98 posts

Kelly,

Thanks for you response and input which is very valuable, and much appreciated. Unfortunately she hasn't been back in contact even after we schedule an appointment.

Hope she is doing ok. 

Kelley Woods
@kelley-woods

10/10/17 01:04:46PM

3,124 posts

Perhaps just speaking with you resolved her problem - it's amazing how often that happens.

Some hypnosis practitioners would tell you to get her credit card info at time of appointment booking for a deposit or guarantee but I'm still operating on the old standards and rarely have a no-show.

Share This