Created: 09/09/17 01:31:26PM by john-hall2

Last Update: 09/16/17 08:55:22PM by Brian Green
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
John Hall2
@john-hall2

09/09/17 01:31:26PM

63 posts

Hi there,
   On occasion I'll be typing out long paragraphs and distracted or zoned out to where it's almost like my fingers are typing on their own. There is nothing unusual about this, I think most typists can get in a flow where it feels like this.  What I find interesting is every so often I'll look back and find a single word in the middle of a sentence that not only doesn't fit or match, but is also a word that I wasn't even consciously thinking of.

Previously, I wouldn't think anything of it and laugh, but it has me contemplating if this could be considered a natural form of ideomotor movement (or another ideo word)?

*IF* that is the case, this is likely an fairly unexplored area. 

Has anyone noticed this before? Used it on purpose? Any insights?

Simon Tebbenham
@simon-tebbenham

09/09/17 02:35:59PM

392 posts

I can't say that I really Ice cold beer mmmm have noticed this in my typing, but my mind does tend to wander on occasion.

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

09/09/17 02:48:48PM

3,187 posts

I am not sure if i would LET the added word here or there in my typing get ME thinking abOUT ideomotor typing. However if you LET your mind MEander as you type who knows what might come OUT.

Personally I would LET it bother ME unless you are OUT to convince yourself that your mind is trying to tell you something.

I think I feel a headache coming out..........

Fable Goodman
@fable-goodman

09/09/17 02:49:39PM

3,692 posts

Sounds like the keyboard version of a parapraxis (Freudian slip).

init
@init

09/09/17 03:30:53PM

489 posts

Hi John,

The word dosen't fit or match what?

Is it semantically or syntactically incorrect?

Can you give an example?

init

John Hall2
@john-hall2

09/09/17 03:46:57PM

63 posts

@init I don't have a good example right now as it's been a while since it's happened but it may looking something like:

"Throughout history, man snow had only one thing on his mind"

the obvious word here is snow and has nothing to do with the sentence and sounds nothing like "has". It's unrelated and just there. My fingers are doing it for me.

Further clarification, this was a fake example, but if it were real, the word snow would not have been even remotely on my mind at the time and I wouldn't have known why or that I typed it until I looked.

Kelley Woods
@kelley-woods

09/09/17 05:27:55PM

3,112 posts

Simply, writing is hypnotic and when we engage hypnotically we tap into creative (subconscious) levels that have little to do with rationality and that's why, when we really suck big time, we aren't even aware of it!

Wait a minute, did I just write that? It must have been my Evil Other Part.

init
@init

09/10/17 04:27:42PM

489 posts

Perhaps it's one of those post-hypnotic-suggestions taking possession.

John Hall2
@john-hall2

09/10/17 04:53:11PM

63 posts

You never know lol.

To be honest, I am actually surprised no one else has experienced this. Maybe over time more eyes will find this post. 

Fable Goodman
@fable-goodman

09/11/17 04:58:25AM

3,692 posts

John Hall2:
You never know lol. To be honest, I am actually surprised no one else has experienced this.

I suspect that most people who use a keyboard a lot will have experienced this.  However,just because they have experienced something, does not equate to having noticed, or having given any particular attention to it.

John Hall2:
 Maybe over time more eyes will find this post. 

I would bet good money on more eyes finding this post over time.   That is the nature of things.   But once again, however, more eyes finding something does not necessarily equate to more people  paying particular attention to it, or making some concrete response to it.

You can rest assured that for each person who has made some form of a response, (whether that response be a written comment, or just clicking the like button on)  there will be dozens of other people who have seen the post. Some of whom will have appreciated it and thought about it to a greater or lesser degree. Some of whom may have formulated some sort of response in their mind, but not acted on that (for whatever reason) .  

There is always a lot more going on below the surface, (and behind the curtain ) than what is obvious to the audience.

updated by @fable-goodman: 09/11/17 05:07:36AM

Share This