Hypnotists working with Experiencers

Created: 07/13/17 11:07:31AM by jo-anne-eadie

Last Update: 08/15/17 05:13:44AM by Fable Goodman
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
Hilary Jacobson
@hilary-jacobson

07/27/17 11:07:11PM

16 posts

Who has the actual experience here to back up the claim that only or primarily N. America sees these clients? UFOlogy is big in Europe so why wouldn't abduction and regression be a thing there, too?

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

07/28/17 12:31:52AM

3,161 posts

HI

i have been a very busy hypnotherapist in the UK for decades. I am also a hypnosis trainer who has trained hundreds of other hypnotists in the UK. I know many of the hypnosis/NLP trainers in the UK.

I have never had a single enquiry from anyone claiming to be abducted and nor have any of my students or friends.

A quick search of google shows there are no therapists in the UK offering to help with abduction and no groups for those abducted.

In fact some years ago the BBC's Horizon program (very respected science program) did a show on alien abduction and they couldn't find anyone in the UK so they went to North America to interview abductees.

This is an interview of the person who made the program and she offers an alternative explanation.

regards

Barry

Kelley Woods
@kelley-woods

08/11/17 08:52:07AM

3,104 posts

Another theory is that alien abduction have been manufactured and executed by the intelligence community. Why? Believers of this say it's an effort to instill fear in the public in order to support military build up. I haven't read this book, but the author explores this idea, along with exploring the fallibility of using hypnosis for memory recall: The Greys Have Been Framed: Exploitation in the UFO Community

updated by @kelley-woods: 08/11/17 08:53:48AM

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/11/17 09:02:19AM

3,161 posts

Kelley Woods:
Another theory is that alien abduction have been manufactured and executed by the intelligence community. Why? Believers of this say it's an effort to instill fear in the public in order to support military build up. I haven't read this book, but the author explores this idea, along with exploring the fallibility of using hypnosis for memory recall: The Greys Have Been Framed: Exploitation in the UFO Community

That was one of the major plot lines in the X Files too!

James Hazlerig
@james-hazlerig

08/12/17 03:09:57PM

2,678 posts

I'm concerned that no one here has mentioned the risk of reinforcing or inducing false memories with hypnosis. 

I'm not dismissing the Experiencers' experiences, but anyone who works in hypnosis needs to be aware of Elizabeth Loftus's research into how memory actually works and how easy it is to induce false memory. We should also be aware of the dangers associated with promoting possible false memories, which are laid out pretty extensively in Mark Pendergrast's Victims of Memory. It's literally a life-and-death concern.

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/12/17 03:47:50PM

3,161 posts

James Hazlerig:
I'm concerned that no one here has mentioned the risk of reinforcing or inducing false memories with hypnosis. I'm not dismissing the Experiencers' experiences, but anyone who works in hypnosis needs to be aware of Elizabeth Loftus's research into how memory actually works and how easy it is to induce false memory. We should also be aware of the dangers associated with promoting possible false memories, which are laid out pretty extensively in Mark Pendergrast's Victims of Memory. It's literally a life-and-death concern.

Totally agree James.
Unfortunately not everyone shares this point of view as a recent post by a new comer Daniel shows
http://hypnothoughts.com/community/forum/kathryn-monahan-sheetz/109491/i-dont-believe-in-hypnosis/p=4#last
Normally I would have jumped all over it, but quite frankly I am losing the will......

James Hazlerig
@james-hazlerig

08/12/17 10:19:14PM

2,678 posts

Barry Neale:
James Hazlerig:I'm concerned that no one here has mentioned the risk of reinforcing or inducing false memories with hypnosis. I'm not dismissing the Experiencers' experiences, but anyone who works in hypnosis needs to be aware of Elizabeth Loftus's research into how memory actually works and how easy it is to induce false memory. We should also be aware of the dangers associated with promoting possible false memories, which are laid out pretty extensively in Mark Pendergrast's Victims of Memory. It's literally a life-and-death concern.
Totally agree James. Unfortunately not everyone shares this point of view as a recent post by a new comer Daniel shows http://hypnothoughts.com/community/forum/kathryn-monahan-sheetz/109491/i-dont-believe-in-hypnosis/p=4#last Normally I would have jumped all over it, but quite frankly I am losing the will......  

I just jumped all over it, then I saw your post.
You know, it's been a while since I was active here, and one reason I wandered away was that I got really tired of composing replies in my mind only to discover you'd already said what I was going to. :-)

Roy Hunter
@roy-hunter

08/13/17 02:52:18PM

1,709 posts

I just posted a response on the "I don't believe in hypnosis" thread that actually is more appropriate for this thread. Rather than re-posting it here, you can go read it in that thread.

James Hazlerig
@james-hazlerig

08/14/17 07:06:17PM

2,678 posts

Fable, acting as an admin, has shut down comments on the "I don't believe in hypnosis" thread, because it had gotten derailed by an argument that probably belongs in this thread or even in its own thread.

The last significant comment on that thread is basically 800+ words of Ad Hominem attacks against me and one of my teachers. I have to say that only someone who has run out of actual evidence and logic would go through the trouble of Googling me (and my first teacher) so that he could attempt to shame me about things I'm proud of.

Of course, as the wise man said, "He who slings mud is definitely losing ground."

Roy Hunter
@roy-hunter

08/14/17 07:33:04PM

1,709 posts

James Hazlerig:
Fable, acting as an admin, has shut down comments on the "I don't believe in hypnosis" thread, because it had gotten derailed by an argument that probably belongs in this thread or even in its own thread...[snip] ...

Since the other thread is closed, here is a copy of what I posted there regarding false memories and UFO abductions...

Rather than going to an extreme position for or against false memories, we should acknowledge the fact that memory is not infallible...it can and often does get altered over time, especially when emotion is involved. For example, two children can witness a fight at school, and give a teacher different versions just minutes later. Two siblings also give different versions of an event to a parent right after it happens, with each sibling believing his or her version.

When emotions are involved, those emotions can alter our own perceptions of past events. In other words, a client can create his or her own false memories through time...but when I facilitate regression, I let the client know that we are dealing with PERCEPTIONS, which often are a combination of fact and fantasy.

Also, I know from experience on the CLIENT side of a mishandled regression that a hypnotist with a preconceived opinion can implant false memories. I have TWO conflicting sets of memories for the same event that happened during my childhood regarding a near-death experience because hypnotist #1 was certain that it was a UFO abduction. The only thing missing in that regression was X-files background music. Regression #2 (many months later) resulted in my perception of the bright light as being a death angel who came to prevent me from dying because it was not my time.

I detailed this event in the chapter on the risk of false memories that is included in the book on regression therapy that Bruce Eimer and I co-authored. Any of you who attend HypnoThoughts Live are welcome to ask me about the NDE that I experienced during childhood. 

Share This