Changing It Up

Created: 08/11/17 07:26:26PM by james-hazlerig

Last Update: 08/15/17 09:38:41AM by Kelley Woods
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
James Hazlerig
@james-hazlerig

08/11/17 07:26:26PM

2,678 posts

So, I realized the other day that it's been a while since I did any street hypnosis, and that I'd really fallen into a pattern of using tools only within a certain range in my office, where I tend to be pretty gentle and permissive.

Tonight, I had a guy who wanted to come in for one session. I usually recommend up-to-three session programs, just so that I can hedge my bets a little and get buy-in for extended work. But this guy wasn't going for it and wanted to do one session.

Now, my thought was, "I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. If he gets the results he wants, he won't come back. If he doesn't get the results he wants, he won't come back for another shot."

So I said, "F*ck it, I'm going full street hypnosis on this guy. What do I have to lose?" 

I sat him up in a straight backed chair instead of leaning back in my hypno-recliner. I did a rapid induction and physical deepeners, which I almost never do in my office. I went for a bunch of phenomena that I usually don't bother with and generally haven't found to be necessary. I brought him out repeatedly and re-induced with "SLEEP"--again, something I pretty much never do in my office. I used Karl Smith's Kinetic Shift, which is fairly different from my style; even when I use it, I usually soften and adapt it--but not this time. 

Now, I don't know what it was in my intuition that told me this was the approach to use with this client, but it was spot on. He's excited about working with me on a regular basis.

It felt kind of fun to change things up.

How often do you decide to radically change how you do things, just to keep the work fresh?

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/12/17 12:26:54AM

3,194 posts

Hi James,

Sounds like you did some great work. I think sometimes with the right client this sort of thing is the way to do. Many people expect that hypnosis is like what they see on TV and zapping them in and out like that really fills up their convincer strategy and provide the necessary ritual for them to change.

Karl's KS is definitely a tool worth knowing!

Way to go!

Barry

Adam Kilgore
@adam-kilgore

08/12/17 08:12:32AM

555 posts

Nicely done! Flexibility is one of the most important things to have.

James Hazlerig
@james-hazlerig

08/12/17 02:22:38PM

2,678 posts

Like I said, I'm generally more of an Ericksonian, permissive hypnosis, utilitzation-approach, storytelling kind of guy ...

But the contradiction I find in the people who promote the utilization approach is that the one thing they refuse to utilize is the client's expectations about hypnosis.

I still feel like a gentler approach is the way with most of the people who end up coming to me--but it was fun to stretch my wings. :-)

Graham Old
@graham-old

08/13/17 04:54:21AM

2,258 posts

I've not heard of the Kinetic Shift?

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/13/17 06:26:03AM

3,194 posts

Graham Old:

Good grief Graham, where have you been for the last year or go as it is all over facebook?
It is a creation of Karl Smith of UK Hypnosis Academy and he now has a small army of trainers in the UK teaching it.
Regards
Barry

James Hazlerig
@james-hazlerig

08/13/17 06:43:13AM

2,678 posts

Graham Old:

Think of it as a really fast version of Pain as Object, but don't let that summary discourage you from taking one of Karl's trainings. It's really good stuff, and I love how he puts it all together.

Graham Old
@graham-old

08/13/17 07:24:26AM

2,258 posts

Barry Neale:
Graham Old: I've not heard of the Kinetic Shift?
Good grief Graham, where have you been for the last year or go as it is all over facebook?

Clinic - Writing - Clinic - Writing - Clinic... The last year has been quite unbalanced! 
This is the first I've heard of it.

Graham Old
@graham-old

08/13/17 07:24:54AM

2,258 posts

James Hazlerig:
Graham Old: I've not heard of the Kinetic Shift?
Think of it as a really fast version of Pain as Object, but don't let that summary discourage you from taking one of Karl's trainings. It's really good stuff, and I love how he puts it all together.

Cheers, James.

Kelley Woods
@kelley-woods

08/15/17 09:38:41AM

3,124 posts

Sounds like fun, James. And, I know that you like to have as much fun as I do, even when we are dealing with serious issues in our hypnocaves. I think it's great to mix it up a bit - the trick is to discern when something "different" will be effective with a particular client.

Reminds me of a recent kid I was working with, a 12 yr old who was so excited to see me for hypnosis for enuresis. As I dangled my grandmother's pocket watch in front of him, swinging it back and forth, his eyes drooped...and drooped...until he suddenly sat straight up and said, "Say SLEEP!" So I did.

Share This