Have you had a recent email update from hypnothoughts?

Created: 04/26/19 04:08:12PM by fable-goodman

Last Update: 05/12/19 08:25:37AM by Fable Goodman
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
Dave_I
@dave-i

05/04/19 02:50:25PM

590 posts

Hey Perry,

I must not be on the HypnoThoughts newsletter because I don't think I got the email. I did look on Facebook and found a couple HypnoThoughts pages.

think the old one is the one you linked to. Namely the one linked below that has HTLive content. I cannot say I have a problem with that especially as it was apart from this site. Honestly though, I forgot it existed before today (I liked it at some point, apparently, I was probably thinking it was the HTLive page or an adjunct to this one, I really cannot remember).
https://www.facebook.com/HypnoThoughtscom-107171512190/

However, it also looks like they created a new one, namely this one:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/HypnoThoughts/?source_id=107171512190

The latter one seems to be a new one that I am taking to be a replacement for this site. There are no links or mentions of HTLive, or any posts for that matter other than a notification of the update to the cover photo. My initial impression is, the second link will be the new home base for "HypnoThoughts: The Free Online Hypnosis Community" while the former one seems to be more of a HypnoThoughts/HPTI(?)/HTLive business page. So as it stands now, that latter link seems clean of any advertising or much content (which is fine, it's three days old). I think the former could be renamed to avoid confusion, but the latter looks true to what Scott is saying. We shall see.

That's my slightly-more-informed opinion as of now. That may change of course. As noted, the earlier deleting of threads was not a popular choice with many of us, and I get some of the complaints that have been lobbied about. However, this has been a free resource that has in the past been a thriving community. I would like something to become of said community and think Facebook is the obvious place to take it. I would love for this site to be more thriving. I think it is possible, so I do not entirely agree with the MySpace analogy. However, if this site is not working anymore, again, Facebook seems like the the most obvious replacement to me.

Perry Bryceman
@perry-bryceman

05/04/19 03:37:03PM

27 posts

Thanks Dave,

I had not seen the newer one, which as you say, was set up later that day. 

At the moment just has two posts  both attributed to the administrator, but I immediately note that the owner/admnstrator of the group is the business page.  clicking on the admin's icon or name will take you directly to that same old site. 

Not quite as clean as it appears. 

Fable Goodman
@fable-goodman

05/05/19 04:12:32AM

3,827 posts

Jason3:
I got the same email.   I don't use facebook, what do I do?

Vernon:
I don't use facebook either.    

I haven't used for a few years now.  Not sure that there is an answer to people who don't use facebook.
Dave_I:
With the caveat that the admins no doubt know more than I do about the situation...

You could not be blamed for imagining that dave. 
I know no more than I have gleaned from this thread.  The moderators (admin) have not  been informed about this. There has been no announcement about it on this site.  
I did have a look at the hypnothoughts.com page that was linked to in the email from Scott, and it appeared  to me to be as described by Perry, and yourself Dave. 
And (thanks to your 'due diligence' Dave) I now gather that a new facebook group has been set up sometime in the past few days.
I have also heard on the grapevine, that a rather long video has  been posted on the conference facebook pages, where Scott reveals more.  My understanding is that  a few members of that page, (mainly  presenters)  have watched it all the way through, but most gave up after the first couple of minutes so will not have heard the denouement 
I await the formal announcement here, preferably in simple text. 
I have not had any reports of ' log in issues' recently, but since seeing that email last week, I have looked into it and discovered a a couple of people who only sign in irregularly, have been asked to renew their password, which takes less than a minute.   Now that I know about it, I have fixed that, so it should not be a problem for those people again. 

Dave_I
@dave-i

05/05/19 06:33:01AM

590 posts

Hey
Fable Goodman:You could not be blamed for imagining that dave.  I know no more than I have gleaned from this thread.  The moderators (admin) have not  been informed about this. There has been no announcement about it on this site.

I would (hopefully rather diplomatically) suggest that might be an area where they could improve their communication. And certainly I think if HypnoThoughts as a brand (or whatever they want to call it) has room for improvement after the "Truth and Transparency" thread was deleted. I still think that was the wrong decision. If we're going to be "The Free Online Hypnosis Community," I would like part of that to be a place for open conversation. Not to the extent where people can be overly uncouth, so to speak, but on that allowed and invited genuine, open, and honest discourse. Which to me means decidedly NOT censoring us, unless people were to make attacks a/o be spammy.

The HypnoThoughts/HTLive connection is a bit of a stick spot. I am not opposed to there being some mention of HTLive on the new group (or here for that matter) within certain parameters. We may have varying thresholds for that. Like it or not, HypnoThoughts, HTLive, and HPTI are all interconnected on some level. I get making this community (if we can still call it that) neutral. Maybe it bothers others, but I don't mind the occasional link or mention of HTLive or HPTI provided that other organizations or businesses have an equal opportunity (which to me has been the case here) and that it's compartmentalized. The older HypnoThoughts Facebook page has become a largely HTLive-centric page, however that never bothered me because we had this site. The new one looks more the part of an open "Online Hypnosis Community" than a place to talk about the live convention.

As Perry noted:

"At the moment just has two posts both attributed to the administrator, but I immediately note that the owner/admnstrator of the group is the business page. clicking on the admin's icon or name will take you directly to that same old site."

That in and of itself does not bother me. What I would be more interested in is how the page develops overall. If there are mentions or links to HTLive here or there, I'm not going to sweat it. If it ended up a promo page for HTLive a/o HPTI, I could see the complaints as there are already places for that and that's not what HypnoThoughts has been about overall. I'm being diplomatic here as well, of course. However, I'm fine waiting and seeing how and where they go with this. What I would like to see is how the community develops over there before making any real strong opinions about it one way or the other. It may be an opportunity for us who are on Facebook or willing to give it a shot to (re)build the type of community that used to be here. If so, despite preferring this site, maybe we can have the types of conversations with the range of people in the field that made this site worth coming to for so long. If they start censoring and deleting things like they did with the "Truth and Transparency" thread, I think it would die and something else would (and should) take its place. Ditto with making it overly HTLive/HPTI promotional (which the new one looks mostly clean of barring a couple of not terribly obvious links on the admin's icon & name).

That's just my morning musings. They're probably worth just about what you paid for them.

-Cheers

Jason3
@jason3

05/09/19 04:20:39PM

6 posts

Dave_I:
Hey
Fable Goodman:You could not be blamed for imagining that dave.  I know no more than I have gleaned from this thread.  The moderators (admin) have not  been informed about this. There has been no announcement about it on this site.
I would (hopefully rather diplomatically) suggest that might be an area where they could improve their communication.

It would seem basic protocol to inform the moderators first, and then this forum, before going public with the news.  Some people might think that you have been rather too diplomatic Dave. 

Vernon
@vernon

05/11/19 06:53:16PM

11 posts

What provisions are being made for those of us who don't (won't) use Facebook?

Fable Goodman
@fable-goodman

05/12/19 08:20:46AM

3,827 posts

Dave_I:
Hey
I would (hopefully rather diplomatically) suggest that might be an area where they could improve their communication.

You are the soul of tact and diplomacy Dave.
It's only been just over a couple of weeks, I am sure that at some point in the future Scott will get round to putting some sort of notice up  for the members on here who have not read the update email, or viewed the Video released on the  Conference facebook pages.  Perhaps he will even leave a note in the Moderator's group.   (I won't be holding my breath)
Dave_I:
I'm being diplomatic here as well, of course. However, I'm fine waiting and seeing how and where they go with this. What I would like to see is how the community develops over there before making any real strong opinions about it one way or the other.

I look forward to your feedback on this in the fullness of time.
Dave_I:
That's just my morning musings. They're probably worth just about what you paid for them.-Cheers

I have always found your musings, worth a whole lot more than I paid for them. 

Fable Goodman
@fable-goodman

05/12/19 08:25:37AM

3,827 posts

Vernon:
What provisions are being made for those of us who don't (won't) use Facebook?

Sorry I don't have an answer for this Vernon. 
As soon as I do, I will let you know.

Share This