Aspirin or Hypnosis?

Created: 09/11/17 07:52:11PM by bill-kennedy

Last Update: 09/16/17 09:18:53PM by Brian Green
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
Bill Kennedy
@bill-kennedy

09/11/17 07:52:11PM

843 posts

In a gee-whiz kind of article in the science section of the Telegraph (UK), the author describes how depression can be attributed to inflammation.  

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/09/08/depression-physical-illness-could-treated-anti-inflammatory/

“It’s pretty clear that inflammation can cause depression,” Professor Ed Bullmore, head of the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Cambridge told a briefing in London to coincide with this week’s Academy of Medical Sciences FORUM annual lecture which has brought together government the NHS and academics to discuss the issue.

“In relation to mood, beyond reasonable doubt, there is a very robust association between inflammation and depressive symptoms.  We give people a vaccination and they will become depressed. Vaccine clinics could always predict it, but they could never explain it.

But there is good news!  Doctors can treat depression . . . er . . . inflammation with

• Exercise — Depression can result from chronic ongoing stress and exercise acts like a biological insurance plan against the bodily effects of stress. 20 minutes, three times a week or more of anything that gets you sweaty is all that’s needed. 
  • Diet — Eliminate processed foods, especially sugar and refined carbohydrates which may increase inflammation in the body. Eat plenty of natural foods including fruits and vegetables, pastured animal products and eggs and wild fish.
  • Meditate — Meditation stimulates the expression of genes that are powerfully anti-inflammatory. Just ten minutes a day of mindfulness, deep breathing or gratitude journaling can help mood.

Oh no, it must have been a typo or an oversight.  Why would you list all those pale imitations of hypnosis without the real thing?  This treatment of hypnosis depresses me.  I really need to take more deep breaths and write in my gratitude journal.  But before I do, may I just say, let's suppose that everything in the article is true.  That there really is a physical cause for depression, furthermore, that it can be easily treated with anti-inflammatories like, say, aspirin.  Who is to say that inflammation is the ONLY cause of depression or that this treatment will cure depression in ALL people?

Oh well, as the French say, "plus ça changeplus c'est la même chose"—"usually translated as "the more things change, the more they stay the same."

;)

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

09/12/17 12:00:24AM

3,189 posts

Oh that's ok then. I am only depressed because I have inflammation.

I thought it was because my wife just left me, the bank is foreclosing on my house and I have just been fired. I glad to that it has nothing to do with that or all the guilt I have after putting my parents into a care home when they got alzheimer's!

Pass me the broccoli!

init
@init

09/12/17 03:32:27AM

489 posts

If someone has a generally estatic mood in direction and their attention is continually drawn to something physical which amplifies that repetitively, then they might perhaps get the state they are entraining themselves toward.

It can be the same with geeks and chess because fractionation means amplification and if there is an associated delightful physical intensification, that may be irresistible.

Of course, the same principle can work both ways.

Therefore, anything that interupts the physical response could reduce undesired symptoms.

init

Simon Tebbenham
@simon-tebbenham

09/12/17 03:49:38AM

391 posts

So...diet, exercise and a touch of brain stuff. 

Sounds simple - gonna set my stall out right now, I'll have people queued up round the block in no time, and the bank balance will start its inflammation. 

Brian Green
@brian-green

09/16/17 09:18:52PM

24 posts

I have had the experience of clinical depression myself, complete with both physical and mental retardation, the so called "vegetative" symptoms. I have spent some 40 years resolving this without medication, and am largely out of the woods. I have assisted some clients get off of 20 years or so on medication. Takes a while. I have also helped persons with reactive depressions, grief depressions, etc. in one session. Sometimes two. So I believe I am well informed enough to state categorically, that depression is a spectrum, composed of many possible difficulties/factors/issues, both internal and external, in any combination and permutation, that each particular three dimentional snowflake of a human being has created, and at times become enmeshed in. Best, Brian. aka Hypnohotshot 

Share This