Pregnancy- a Contra Indication for hypnosis?

Created: 09/06/17 03:28:36AM by barry-neale

Last Update: 09/10/17 06:06:35AM by Scott Hogue
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
Barry Neale
@barry-neale

09/06/17 03:28:36AM

3,186 posts

I have a just been reading a post from a fellow hypnotist on a FB forum. They were commenting on the recent news that Kate Middleton (Duchess of Cambridge) is pregnant again and suffering from morning sickness again. One poster asked if hypnosis could be used to help her and then another poster jumped and said, "that hypnosis is contra indicated in the first trimester"

I pointed out that this was nonsense and was just another example of the myth of hypnosis but the poster said that their association and insurers stated that it was a contra indication for hypnosis.

What on earth are they basing this on?

A quick search on Google shows numerous medical studies showing the effectiveness of hypnosis with  hyperemesis graviderum the most severe form of morning sickness so why are these associations ignoring this research which not only shows how effective hypnosis is, but also that it is clearly safe?

Personally I have worked with 100s of young women who after discovering they are pregnant want to stop smoking and also many with morning sickness.

So my question is, why do these myths persist?

Has there ever been a single case where hypnosis has caused harm during the first trimester?

What suddenly happens after the first trimester that suddenly makes hypnosis safe again?

Love to hear what you guys with experience in this area think?

Graham Old
@graham-old

09/06/17 04:53:05AM

2,251 posts

If they're focusing on the first trimester, presumably there's a myth somewhere that hypnosis can lead to miscarriage?

My guess would be that this comes from schools that correlate deep relaxation of hypnosis. Perhaps they fear that deep relaxation will cause a miscarriage?! I can't think of any other reason for this.

Fable Goodman
@fable-goodman

09/06/17 05:03:51AM

3,691 posts

Some confusion may have arisen because some drugs are classed as 'Hypnotics' 

you often see these sort of statements in medical literature:

"Hypnotics are contraindicated in pregnancy because,,,,,,,  ... risk of fetal malformations with diazepam or diazoxide if used during the first trimester."

"For patients requiring sedation (hypnosis) to sleep restfully ....................Contraindications ........ ... .......the first trimester of pregnancy increases the risk of congenital malformations ..."

I wonder if this has led to some hypnotherapy sites making statements such as the two below, which I found when doing a google search.

"Hypnotherapy is successfully used as a relaxation technique during pregnancy and can provides an effective method of pain control. However there remains some controversy over whether it should be provided during the first semester.

Women smokers often wish to stop during pregnancy for the benefit of their unborn child, which is very sensible.  There is a strong argument that hypnotherapy is more appropriate than nicotine replacement for pregnant women. However while the Therapy Partnership believes hypnotherapy is safe for women at any stage of pregnancy it suggests those seeking hypnotherapy during the first trimester – the first 12 weeks of pregnancy – should first consult their GP or obstetrician then proceed on that advice."  

"Pregnancy - first trimester at least, 2nd trimester on GP's authority, 3rd trimester fine but still with GP's authority"

updated by @fable-goodman: 09/06/17 05:20:34AM

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

09/06/17 06:40:21AM

3,186 posts

HI

It just seems crazy that these myths persist when there are so many "official" studies that show how effective hypnosis is with morning sickness.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/1999/0701/p56.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20925602

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10655831

http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(15)30171-X/abstract

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00207148008409860?journalCode=nhyp20

And of course the treatment of Kate Middleton on her last pregnancy

https://www.babymed.com/celebrity-baby-and-pregnancy/kate-middleton-using-hypnotherapy-overcome-morning-sickness

The following is a quote from one of the studies

It is also stressed that medical hypnosis can be used to treat common morning sickness that is experienced by up to 80 percent of pregnant women. Its use could allow a more comfortable pregnancy and healthier fetal development, and could prevent cases that might otherwise proceed to full-blown hyperemesis gravidarum.

So it appears that not only is it not contraindicated but can actually lead to healthier fetal development.

Fable Goodman
@fable-goodman

09/06/17 07:33:40AM

3,691 posts

Just as an aside: 

Back in 2013 when the story was current, about Kate Middleton 'reportedly' using hypnosis for this... There were several threads and Blog posts on this site.  Some of them like this one below, suggesting that we hypnotherapists cash in on this royal endorsement of hypnosis.

"This could be one of the most positive developments ever for hypnotherapy in the UK. What better endorser could you want than the Duchess of Cambridge a.k.a. Kate Middleton, who is using hypnotherapy to help deal with the extreme morning sickness that has landed her in the hospital?

If I were a hypnotherapist in the UK (or anywhere in the English-speaking world that is still fascinated by the Royals) I would use this opportunity to send out a press release and talk about how hypnotherapy can help with all phases of the reproductive cycle, from infertility to morning sickness to hypnobirthing.

And I would be sure to use the words "Kate Middleton" and "hypnotherapy" in the headline."

I checked every report on the internet around that time, and could  discover no report that confirmed the truth of this rumour.  All the  reports were based on quoting / misquoting an article from an Australian magazine.  

The report below is typical.. It starts off by stating (almost) as a fact, something which was only ever a rumour.  

Kate Middleton has been undergoing hypnotherapy after her severe morning sickness, according to outspoken childhood friend Jessica Hay, who made the claims in an interview with an Australian magazine.

The Duchess of Cambridge’s old acquaintance reportedly told publication New Idea that she is trying the treatment to combat negative thoughts about food, after being admitted to hospital with the condition hyperemesis gravidarum late last year.

As far as I know, this 'Fact' has never been confirmed.  

Kate Middleton simply would not share that sort of information with someone like Jessica Hay, who was  known for capitalizing on her rather vague connection with Kate. 

I would caution any hypnotherapist using this sort of story as leverage for their advertizing. 

Better to stick to the proven benefits as in some of the links Barry has provided.

updated by @fable-goodman: 09/06/17 08:41:32AM

Kumar Venkatachalam
@kumar-venkatachalam

09/06/17 08:54:59AM

143 posts

I think most of this fear of hypnosis in the first trimester started with the cathartic regressions under hypnosis. Too much of emotional turmoil and violent regressions do not provide good emotional environment anyway. Otherwise if dreaming during pregnancy is bad then hypnosis is bad :-)

Don G.
@don-g

09/07/17 04:03:51AM

1,521 posts

Barry Neale:
One poster asked if hypnosis could be used to help her and then another poster jumped and said, "that hypnosis is contra indicated in the first trimester"  Love to hear what you guys with experience in this area think?

Hi Barry,
My wife just used hypnosis as an aid in the childbirth of one of her clients. There was no morning sickness, the delivery went well, and the parents were delighted. There's plenty of professional literature available on thiw topic. For openers, go to Google Scholar and enter, "Hypnosis in Childbirth."
Best,
Don

updated by @don-g: 09/07/17 02:35:32PM

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

09/07/17 09:36:22AM

3,186 posts

HI

Thanks Don.  I know, there is a lot of research. And yet in spite of this many trainers and several associations here in the UK keep saying it is contraindicated.

I am curious as to why?

Don G.
@don-g

09/07/17 02:48:12PM

1,521 posts

Barry Neale: I am curious as to why?

Hi Barry,
i think the answer to this question, as well as to your question about plagiarism, lies in the lack of ethics codes and the absence of relevant professional soieties to enforce them, and to deny prewentation rights to would-be presenters who can be shown to be in violation. If HT Live had such a code of ethics and an ethics board, all this could have been avoided.
Best,
Don

Don G.
@don-g

09/07/17 02:51:42PM

1,521 posts

[quote="Don G."]
[quote="Barry Neale"] I am curious as to why?[/quote]

Hi Barry,

i think the answer to this question, as well as to your question about plagiarism, lies in the lack of ethics codes and the absence of relevant professional soieties to enforce them and deny presentation rights to thise who can be shown to be in violation.

If HT Live had such a code of ethics and an ethics board, all this could have been avoided.

Best,

Don

Share This