What Would You Do If Someone Plagiarized Your Work?

Created: 08/19/17 09:13:43AM by barry-neale

Last Update: 09/08/17 02:50:05AM by Simon Tebbenham
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
Fable Goodman
@fable-goodman

08/31/17 02:22:59AM

3,692 posts

Kevin Cole:
Perhaps someone reading this that knows her can fill her in on this conversation so that she can add her own voice to the conversation and maybe... Just maybe... A peaceful resolution between her and Steven can be had. (Although I know better than to have expectations about such thing)

Joanna is a member of this site, although she has not logged in for about 18 months. 
She  is however aware of this discussion.   

connor.dixon
@connordixon

08/31/17 02:52:45AM

4 posts

Her responses on the Hypnothoughts Live Facebook thread on this question a few weeks ago:

Matthew Pike Is this the same as what Steven Blake developed Oldpain2go?

Joanna Cameron Come check it out Matthew!

Matthew Pike But if it's the same as Stevens Oldpain2go what's the point?

Matthew Pike Joanna is it something different or the same? Would like to know as I don't want to replicate something as it will be a waste of money.

Joanna Cameron How can it possibly be the same with the Trance Lady!

Matthew Pike If I deliver Kinetic Shift which Karl Smith developed it's still Kinetic Shift no matter who delivers it. What I'm asking and would like to know so I don't waste money, is it the same as Oldpain2go?

Steven Blake Following.

Martin Rothery Likewise!

That is the end of the discussion.

She (perhaps wisely) chose not to argue the point any further. 

Readers can draw their own conclusion.

Dave_I
@dave-i

08/31/17 08:54:46AM

531 posts

Hey
Kevin Cole:Just maybe... A peaceful resolution between her and Steven can be had. (Although I know better than to have expectations about such thing) I just know how quickly and powerfully an internet mob can pull out "pitchforks and torches" (especially these days) and I wouldn't want to see anyone be "burned at the stake" due to a misunderstanding and or poor judgment. It's my bedtime. Night all... 

I can appreciate that, and I hope (and suspect) most of us can agree with that sentiment. I hope for the same thing.

If she found Steven's process good, had mastered it, made it her own, then sold it as that, I think people would be less up in arms. It sounds like she planned on plagiarizing it verbatim before demonstrating enough competence with Steven's process to be an OldPain2Go trainer (apparently putting this in writing, which is pretty damning), then changed it dramatically after this story broke. So I think some of the anger is warranted.

I have not taken Steven's class yet, although I have talked to him, however I have talked to several who have and the results seem pretty legitimately impressive. That is something that should be acknowledged and if learned or integrated deserves some level of mastery. It just seems disrespectful to the process to NOT really learn it before taking it and selling it as something else, and it seems to make sense to do the best work you can, and earning the privilege or teaching somebody else's work. To plan on plagiarizing it (admitting it in writing, as I understand it), get called out, and change it radically pretty much at the last minute before teaching it to a group of (if that is in fact what happened), seems wrong to me.

I would still hope there could be a peaceful solution. If she valued the process enough to plagiarize it, then she should value it enough to master it and teach it properly. If she gains some mastery of it, and then changes it in a way that works better or is her own style, great! If she has a different side of the story, I would listen. It would be nice to see her make things right, presuming things went down as reported. I am a third-party just like I imagine most of us to be, so I have zero insider information. I do like transparency, however I am not out to burn anybody at the metaphorical stake. I would like to hear her do what is right in this situation. At this point I am just happy to be informed of the situation so I can make an informed decision, and hope for some peaceful resolution at some point. We are too small a community to be bringing others down or plagiarizing each other. I would much rather see us give credit where credit is due, build each other up, and let this field grow harmoniously. I feel like only good could come from that.

Alain Koningverdraag
@alain-koningverdraag

08/31/17 09:59:09AM

2 posts

The most important thing to take away from this thread... would I suppose be, that if someone plagiarizes someone, in the hypnosis profession, we do this to help others. And at the very least, that person should be a capable hypnotist with an understanding of what is required to actually give help. Otherwise, said person is only polluting the environment even more. If not outright creating more problems - referring to the anchoring as the guy in the video was emerging.

Kevin Cole
@kevin-cole

08/31/17 05:43:53PM

1,304 posts

After being private messaged by 2 people so far that I highly respect and trust about this "situation", I will simply add...

Choose your mentors wisely, and if someone claims to be "The Best In The World"... They are lying. Lying to themselves and others. It's that simple.

They might be the best in their town, they might even be the best in their state, and maybe... just maybe even the best in their country (although doubtful) but anyone claiming to be the best in the world has lost touch with reality.

And if they lie about being "The best in the world", they are lying and or delusional about a great deal more as well.

Also... Keep in mind that, especially in a group environment, helping people overcome Chronic Pain Is EASY.

Faith healers do it all the time based strictly on building belief and expectation. They use little to no actual technique other than that.

If you want to gain consistent   results with one/one clients however, you will need to learn numerous techniques, because there is no one "Magic Bullet" technique, no matter what fancy new name it's given, and there is almost no technique I know of that totally "new" or totally "unique". 

Uniquely branded? Absolutely.

Created out of thin air? Nope. Not a chance.

I don't mind saying that not a single technique I teach is 100% totally unique.

Everything I have learned and everything I teach has come from me "standing on the shoulders of giants" and I will always GIVE PROPER CREDIT to those that I have learned from. I think it's a shame that this is not a more common practice in our profession.

And in closing, it sounds like Steven offers a pretty excellent course. I do not benefit in any way shape or form from linking to his website, so I hope it's not considered spam. I would post the same thing to any course that I trusted in recommending, and again, I trust Barry's judgment greatly in regards to recommending a course, so here's a link for anyone that would like to check out what many are saying is an excellent training from a trainer with high integrity that knows what he's doing:

http://oldpain2go.com/

-Kevin

init
@init

09/01/17 07:24:36PM

487 posts

When people start flocking back to church, the moral compass will change because there will be more attention to social values and the true hypnotists can do their thing.

Roy Hunter
@roy-hunter

09/03/17 09:26:56AM

1,716 posts

Alain Koningverdraag:
The most important thing to take away from this thread... would I suppose be, that if someone plagiarizes someone, in the hypnosis profession, we do this to help others. ...[snip] ...

My personal belief is that when someone plagiarizes another's work without giving the other person credit, it is most likely motivated by greed and/or ego much more than a genuine desire to help others...otherwise why not learn it properly and give credit where credit is due?

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

09/03/17 01:59:59PM

3,186 posts

Roy Hunter:
Alain Koningverdraag:The most important thing to take away from this thread... would I suppose be, that if someone plagiarizes someone, in the hypnosis profession, we do this to help others. ...[snip] ...
My personal belief is that when someone plagiarizes another's work without giving the other person credit, it is most likely motivated by greed and/or ego much more than a genuine desire to help others...otherwise why not learn it properly and give credit where credit is due?

Absolutely!

init
@init

09/03/17 05:39:53PM

487 posts

I think there might be some more specific context here.

No one is going to steal the work of another and present it as her own.

Maybe she has mixed her own work with what she learned in her course and packaged that.

Plagerism is bad but hearsay slander and glitch hunts can be cruel!

Roy Hunter
@roy-hunter

09/03/17 07:11:15PM

1,716 posts

init:
I think there might be some more specific context here. No one is going to steal the work of another and present it as her own. Maybe she has mixed her own work with what she learned in her course and packaged that. Plagerism is bad but hearsay slander and glitch hunts can be cruel!  

Although I disagree, I will NOT detail who stole my work and claimed it was his own.

Share This