What Would You Do If Someone Plagiarized Your Work?

Created: 08/19/17 09:13:43AM by barry-neale

Last Update: 09/08/17 02:50:05AM by Simon Tebbenham
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/27/17 03:01:45PM

3,187 posts

Horse? More like an Ass!

Don G.
@don-g

08/28/17 06:01:29AM

1,525 posts

Barry,

You might want to Google the "fair use doctrine."  I once consulted a copyright attorney about whether or not I could copyright the terms, "hyperempiria," and "hyperempiric induction," and he told me to forget about it. James Braid could have made a mint if he had proprietary rights to the term "hypnosis," and "hypnotic induction" if such laws had existed at the time, but we were both out of luck. Trademarks, imho, are also limited in what they can cover, and must be pre-registered in any event before they come into use.

Don

updated by @don-g: 08/28/17 07:38:04AM

indybutts
@indybutts

08/28/17 08:46:52AM

48 posts

Don G.:
  Barry, You might want to Google the "fair use doctrine."  I once consulted a copyright attorney about whether or not I could copyright the terms, "hyperempiria," and "hyperempiric induction," and he told me to forget about it. James Braid could have made a mint if he had proprietary rights to the term "hypnosis," and "hypnotic induction" if such laws had existed at the time, but we were both out of luck. Trademarks, imho, are also limited in what they can cover, and must be pre-registered in any event before they come into use. Don    

A trademark is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, ask John McLean creator of Hypno-Band who needed to spend £5000 to defend the mark from someone in the UK. Last I heard of John he was so disillusioned with having to defend against people in his own profession he packed it all in. Can't say I blame him.

Don G.
@don-g

08/28/17 09:05:12AM

1,525 posts

indybutts:A trademark is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, ask John McLean creator of Hypno-Band who needed to spend £5000 to defend the mark from someone in the UK. Last I heard of John he was so disillusioned with having to defend against people in his own profession he packed it all in. Can't say I blame him.

This stuff is too much fun to worry about who owns what. I know a guy whose whole book about Hypersex was pirated all over the place, but everybody was so busy doing their own thing with it that all he could do was join them.

updated by @don-g: 08/28/17 09:06:14AM

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/30/17 04:01:28AM

3,187 posts

I am sure that there will be some newbies who watch these videos and are impressed. Don't be.

They're are pretty crap. She has bastardized the original method to try and make out she has not copied the process verbatim and she has added crap that is only totally unnecessary that appeals to the new agey, touchy feely, granola crunching oddballs that frequent our profession.

She is also, (whether by design or ignorance) sticking them back into the trauma and that's why several of them are abreacting. Totally unnecessary and shows a complete lack of understanding of what is going on. One women starts frantically wiping her leg and it takes JC about a minute to notice this because she is so busy playing to the audience. At about 18 minutes the guy at the end of the line is associating into some stuff and while telling him to let it go, she is anchoring it on his shoulder! Then when she is emerging him she fires the bloody anchor!

After she emerges them although there is a reduction in SUDs (probably just due to relaxation) she then tells them to turn down that switch??? Anyone here know how to turn down a switch? No.... you turn down a dial not switch!

Notice she doesn't check in with them after "turning down the switch" to see if there has been reduction. 

These videos really highlight the reason why she wasn't granted trainer status and that is she doesn't understand the process. This was clear to all in the first two weeks after the training and clearly nothing has improved. It was unfortunate that this woman was given a platform at Hypnothoughts to display her lack of skill.

As I said previously I don't want to make this into an advert but if you do want to learn an effective method to treat pain don't learn this nonsense, go to the source.

regards

Barry

updated by @barry-neale: 08/30/17 04:33:56AM

Steven Blake mba
@steven-blake-mba

08/30/17 05:30:04AM

1 posts

Steven Blake here: Can I just say I am relieved to see the video of drainthatpain and recognise nothing of value from OldPain2Go. There are a few phrases I use and one or two superficial things of no consequence.

So no I won't be suing her over this is unless she compares it to OldPain2Go. I neither want crediting with nor associating with what I have just seen. This is not even a shadow of OldPain2Go. 

I do feel however this would have been different if I hadn't had so many wonderful people looking out for me, and I thank everyone who helped.

I just feel truly sorry for anyone who would still want to train in her methodology if they have watched the video.

Fable Goodman
@fable-goodman

08/30/17 06:00:26AM

3,692 posts

Thanks for commenting Steven.

I had noticed that you had been following this thread, and wondered whether or not you would bother to join in.    

Glad to see that you are not, going to bother with any legal stuff.  It would only give her more publicity than she warrants, and feed that hungry ego.

I scanned quickly through both videos last night, and thought I would never watch either of them all the way through.  However for whatever reason I have just finished watching the whole to the astral projection one, as I was trying to work out why/ how drain the pain would be connected with that.. It turns out that the last fifteen minutes of that session is dedicated to a group demonstration of draining the pain.  presumably capitalizing on an already captive audience to advertise the she was available to talk about this in the exhibition room, and that she does trainings in it.  

I was glad when the video finished.   For me it was about fifty minutes too long.    I am not sure if I am masochistic enough to watch the whole of the first video, but I am guessing that my conclusion would be, that it is about thirty minutes too long.

I much prefer the one which was shared the other day of the audition for Britain's got Talent.   For some reason the person who posted it has since removed it. Cringe-worthy though it is, it does have the blessing of being brief and to the point.

So here it is again for those who missed it.

I hope it leaves them peaceful... like a horse.

updated by @fable-goodman: 08/30/17 06:08:08AM

Kevin Cole
@kevin-cole

08/31/17 12:10:44AM

1,304 posts

I'm hesitant to join this conversation as I've been in a great mood returning from Hypnothoughts Live and don't particularly miss the "Hypnothoughts Drama" that tends to go hand in hand with this site, but I feel inclined to add a different perspective.

It's very seldom that I disagree with my good friend Barry, but this just may be one of those times.

I'm honestly uncertain what the problem is, if in fact Steven Blake has chimed in noting that "J.C." has not infringed on his copyrighted material and that what she demonstrated is "not even a shadow of OldPain2Go".

I watched the video, and although I see that it involves a rather dramatic series of cathartic ab-reactions to obtain the result (a method I originally learned from Gil Boyne and grew out of pretty fast for much less painful, much more pleasurable, and much safer ways of helping clients eliminate their pain), I mainly focus on the end result from a practitioner, which, for this group at least, appears to be rather positive.

Again, what was demonstrated is far from my preferred style, and after about 20 years experience in the profession, I now know probably over 100 different ways to help clients rid themselves of chronic pain quickly, but I'm not sure we should be defaming this woman's character just because we prefer a different style.

Simply put... I do think there are much- much less emotionally painful, much- much more emotionally *pleasurable*, and much- much *safer* ways of helping clients to rid themselves of their chronic pain, but J.C.'s work reminds me of Gil Boyne's and although I quickly grew out of his style of intentionally induced ab-reactions... They do work when the practitioner knows what they are doing.

And regarding Britain's Got Talent... Hey... She took a shot on national t.v. That takes guts.

Full Disclosure: I don't know J.C. personally, but I have met her very briefly at least 2 times at HTLive and although I *personally* think she could use and teach more caution in how she teaches some of her shock inductions, she seems like a nice enough lady to me - and I believe she has been practicing hypnosis both clinically and on stage for I imagine at least a decade. Probably more.

-Kevin

updated by @kevin-cole: 08/31/17 12:13:58AM

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/31/17 12:28:43AM

3,187 posts

HI Kevin,

What has happened is that JC initially just flat out copied Stevens process after Steven declined to make her an instant trainer and came up with this dumb name. She also tried to recruit several of Steven's students to join with her to create something larger than what is was and to benefit from their experience because remember, at this point she had none.

So initially she was plagiarizing his work, no question.

However because of the backlash on here and Facebook it has become clear that she has changed the process so what she taught at Hypnothoughts was not the process that she was originally taught by Steven. And this is why Steven has now made a comment.

Unfortunately for the audience and the demo subjects the process that she has cobbled together is not that effective as not one of the subjects reduced their pain to zero.

regards

Barry

updated by @barry-neale: 08/31/17 12:35:41AM

Kevin Cole
@kevin-cole

08/31/17 01:50:04AM

1,304 posts

@Barry,

Got it.

I obviously wasn't in the class (I will add to anyone reading this however that if Barry recommends a class- it's an excellent class!) and if she did try to steal his material, then that is obviously highly unethical. Both towards Steven and towards any students that "learn" material from someone that doesn't fully understand the material.

That said, I happen to know the woman in the video who's arm was shaking. She was in a HTLive presentation I taught last year on Allergy Relief and we spoke briefly this year as well regarding her condition that has caused her pain. To maintain her confidentiality I will not say what physical condition she has, but I will say that the relief she experienced in the video appears very positive, and very real, and I think the relief the others experienced is probably very positive and real as well. We wouldn't want to suggest that they shouldn't "keep the change" they experienced, if you know what I mean.

Could they have experienced even greater relief in a much safer manner? I believe so, yes.

And I don't think it was wise to have her hold her arm out as she "turned down the switch", because of course, holding her arm out like that could have potentially brought back all of the inflammation plus more (it didn't appear to do so, but it certainly could have). 

Again, I don't know the whole story. If your perspective is accurate, then I hope she has learned from her serious error in judgment (whether intentional or not) and does not make that mistake again.

And I hope she continues to improve her craft while recognizing, if she doesn't know already, that you don't have to have someone re-associate to a traumatic event in order to rid themselves of chronic pain. There are countless other ways.

Perhaps someone reading this that knows her can fill her in on this conversation so that she can add her own voice to the conversation and maybe... Just maybe... A peaceful resolution between her and Steven can be had.

(Although I know better than to have expectations about such thing)

I just know how quickly and powerfully an internet mob can pull out "pitchforks and torches" (especially these days) and I wouldn't want to see anyone be "burned at the stake" due to a misunderstanding and or poor judgment.

It's my bedtime. Night all... 

Share This