What Would You Do If Someone Plagiarized Your Work?

Created: 08/19/17 09:13:43AM by barry-neale

Last Update: 09/08/17 02:50:05AM by Simon Tebbenham
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
Sue Wilkinson
@sue-wilkinson

08/21/17 12:21:07AM

2 posts

Barry, I am saddened and extremely annoyed that someone could be so blatant in their pliagarism. 

Here is a link that explains Steven Blakes original methodology 

oldpain2go.com/blake-methodology

For those who would like to learn from th organ grinder...not the monkey!

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/21/17 05:00:08AM

3,187 posts

I am annoyed as well Sue.

But I don't want to make this just about Steven.

I know from my own experiences how frustrating this can be.

There are many trainers/therapists out there who work hard trying to find out new solutions to problems, often without reward and then when they start showing people their processes somebody else comes along and rips them off.

We often have conversations on here about ethics and yet this is one area where ethics seem go out the window for some people.

I am hoping that there will be quite a backlash about this situation and that it will make others think twice before ripping others off.

We know live in an age of social media and we are more connected with other hypnotists/trainers than ever before so it is becoming much easier to call people on this sort of behaviour.

Since this has gone public I have had several other trainers who have contacted me saying that this person is now banned from their trainings. The great thing about Hypnothoughts Live is that there will be many trainers there and I am sure that this will become a topic of conversation and hopefully put others off from doing something similar in the future.

regards

Barry

seabrz
@seabrz

08/21/17 05:30:07PM

11 posts

I'm relatively new to the hypnosis world and I guess I had hoped this did not exist here. Afterall, everyone has been so nice, so welcoming. Unfortunately, I assure you this happens in every profession. (Yes, it's happened to me in my other life...more than once.) Very sad.

Some people are just not as evolved as we would like.

John Cleesattel
@john-cleesattel

08/21/17 10:16:14PM

3,176 posts

Sue Wilkinson:
 For those who would like to learn from the organ grinder...not the monkey!

ROFLMAO!!!  I hope you don't mind if I use this :)

Sue Wilkinson
@sue-wilkinson

08/22/17 01:47:55AM

2 posts

John Cleesattel:
Sue Wilkinson: For those who would like to learn from the organ grinder...not the monkey!
ROFLMAO!!!  I hope you don't mind if I use this :)  

Feel Free!

Roy Hunter
@roy-hunter

08/22/17 09:38:33AM

1,718 posts

Over ten years ago I received a scathing email from someone in California accusing me of plagiarizing the work of his mentor, whom he claimed developed parts therapy in 1989. Of course, I emailed him back to let him know that I learned it from Charles Tebbetts in 1983, and started teaching parts therapy BEFORE 1989…and that I could prove both of the above. I added the speculation of whether his mentor took my work and claimed it as his own.

I never received a response; but unfortunately so much was on my plate at the time that I did not have the time to follow up. Today I am unable to find the email because of computer changes with many older files lost; and have long since forgotten the name of that man's mentor.

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/22/17 10:00:22AM

3,187 posts

Roy Hunter:
Over ten years ago I received a scathing email from someone in California accusing me of plagiarizing the work of his mentor, whom he claimed developed parts therapy in 1989. Of course, I emailed him back to let him know that I learned it from Charles Tebbetts in 1983, and started teaching parts therapy BEFORE 1989…and that I could prove both of the above. I added the speculation of whether his mentor took my work and claimed it as his own.   I never received a response; but unfortunately so much was on my plate at the time that I did not have the time to follow up. Today I am unable to find the email because of computer changes with many older files lost; and have long since forgotten the name of that man's mentor.

Hi Roy, 
It's a shame that happened to you then, because if it happened now with social media many of us with long memories could have jumped to your defense and put the guy straight.
regards
Barry

Roy Hunter
@roy-hunter

08/22/17 02:38:54PM

1,718 posts

Barry Neale:
Hi Roy,  It's a shame that happened to you then, because if it happened now with social media many of us with long memories could have jumped to your defense and put the guy straight. regards Barry

Thank you. I believe you would have also set the so-called mentor straight as well.

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/22/17 02:52:27PM

3,187 posts

Roy Hunter:
Barry Neale:Hi Roy,  It's a shame that happened to you then, because if it happened now with social media many of us with long memories could have jumped to your defense and put the guy straight. regards Barry
Thank you. I believe you would have also set the so-called mentor straight as well.

Absolutely. I have a high regard for your efforts and keeping Charles Tebbits work alive.

Graham Old
@graham-old

08/22/17 04:13:27PM

2,251 posts

Can I play Devil's Advocate? (I never do this, but I'm gonna play the A Card and say that I have aspergers. So, if I'm being insensitive here, please forgive me.)

But... what's the issue?

Is it that the original developer will lose out on recognition, or funds?

Or is it that a lesser protocol will be shared in place of the genuine more superior product?

I'm thinking of it like someone stealing a book and giving the PDF away as a torrent. If it's good stuff, don't we actually want it out there?

Again, no offence meant. These are genuine questions, from an unaffected perspective.

Share This