What Would You Do If Someone Plagiarized Your Work?

Created: 08/19/17 09:13:43AM by barry-neale

Last Update: 09/08/17 02:50:05AM by Simon Tebbenham
Back to Previous Page Reply to Discussion
Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/19/17 09:13:43AM

3,187 posts

What would you do if someone blatantly plagiarized your work?

A friend of mine, Steven Blake has spent many years and many thousands of pounds developing an incredibly powerful process to remove pain (physical and emotional) which he calls OldPain2Go. I went an studied with him earlier in the year and was blown away by the effectiveness of this process.

Unlike most other trainings, Steven actually got members of the public with chronic pain in as demo subjects and once we had learned the process we got to work with these people and "switched their pain off". Now I am not talking about teaching them coping strategies or how to control the pain, I am talking about switching it off. Quite frankly I was amazed. After having spent 40 years in this profession I don't say that lightly.

Steven has also set up a fantastic facebook group where he regularly posts updates and advanced videos to further his students knowledge.

Now although this is a deceivingly simple process it takes time and practice to make it work consistently with a variety of complaints, particularly things like fibromyalgia.

Now I know this is beginning to sound like an advert but it's not.

Because a short while ago, a woman who I will call JC took Steven's training and again was blown away by what she saw but then demanded to instantly be made an instructor, even though at this point she had never had a paying client with this process. Steven refused because apart from anything else, she didn't have the experience and even in the training room was adding bits that weren't necessary to the technique because she wasn't following the process. But she seemed to accept Steven's decision and over the next 2 weeks regularly posted on the facebook site raving about how good the process was.

Then after just two weeks she suddenly announces that she is leaving the group because Steven was being unreasonable at not granting her trainer status and that she was going to set up her own trainings "because Steven had missed things out.... and her version was so much better, yada yada yada." She even tried to recruit several of the other students to go with her but all refused.

Now she is suddenly travelling round the world having set herself up as the expert in this new system called, wait for it "DrainThatPain" . Now remember she has had just two weeks of experience in this process and now she has plagiarized Steven's work and called it her own.

Now if that wasn't bad enough, I hear she is now going to be at Hypnothoughts Live peddling this plagiarized system to all the unsuspecting masses who attend.

So my advise, ladies and gentlemen, is don't bother. Learn the real thing. And if you are a trainer don't allow this woman on your training other wise the next thing you will know you work will be bastardized across the world.

updated by @barry-neale: 09/09/17 04:53:44PM

Don G.
@don-g

08/19/17 10:09:21AM

1,525 posts

Hi Barry,

I believe your friend needs to talk to an attorney who specializes in copyright law -- and fast!! There is an international copyright convention which is designed to protect intellectual property. Supposedly, your intellectual property is yours from the moment it is entered on your word prodcessor if the proper procedures are followed. 

If this technique works this well, it is indeed worth fighting for. 

Best,

Don

Kelley Woods
@kelley-woods

08/19/17 11:04:39AM

3,112 posts

Hi Barry,

Don's advice is sound. I am well familiar with this situation and with "JC"'s tendency to highjack other people's work. Please let Steven Blake know that many people in the field are noticing and having private conversations about it.

There's something pretty amazing about trust...it can take a long time to create and yet be destroyed in an instant! Without it, a trainer soon finds herself...just talking at herself.

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/19/17 02:51:39PM

3,187 posts

Don G.:
Barry Neale:I went an studied with him earlier in the year and was blown away by the effectiveness of this process. Unlike most other trainings, Steven actually got members of the public with chronic pain in as demo subjects and once we had learned the process we got to work with these people and "switched their pain off". Now I am not talking about teaching them coping strategies or how to control the pain, I am talking about switching it off. Quite frankly I was amazed. After having spent 40 years in this profession I don't say that lightly. Steven has also set up a fantastic facebook group where he regularly posts updates and advanced videos to further his students knowledge. Now although this is a deceivingly simple process it takes ha and practice to make it work consistently with a variety of complaints, particularly things like fibromyalgia. Now I know this is beginning to sound like an advert but it's not.    
  Hi Barry,   Where can somebody in the U.S. receive treatment from someone who has taken it from the proper source?    Brdt Regards,   Don   

HI Don,
I am sure if you contact Steven he will be able to put you in touch with someone.
regards
Barry

Simon Tebbenham
@simon-tebbenham

08/19/17 04:39:22PM

392 posts

Who's JC? 

There's a few JCs I admire - I hope it isn't one of the those big ones...

John Cleesattel
@john-cleesattel

08/19/17 10:08:57PM

3,176 posts

The same thing happened with my stop smoking intervention... I've had several people tell me of different places it was found verbatim on line and even in other hypnotists books.

Roy Hunter
@roy-hunter

08/19/17 11:21:36PM

1,718 posts

I know from experience what it feels like to have someone take your work and put their own spin on it. They may profit now, but I would not want to be in their shoes when their karma comes home.

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/20/17 12:09:47AM

3,187 posts

Simon Tebbenham:
Who's JC?  There's a few JCs I admire - I hope it isn't one of the those big ones...

It's not Jesus Christ I can tell you that! (Nor our John who has just posted)

Barry Neale
@barry-neale

08/20/17 12:42:30AM

3,187 posts

I feel really sorry for anyone who takes this training thinking that they are going to learning from an expert.

I have seen her explanation of the process and it is clear that she doesn't understand the methodology behind the process and because this she has added dissociation which is totally redundant (presumably between it doesn't work in the way she teaches it) and some woo woo nonsense that is just BS.

So buyer beware!

Don G.
@don-g

08/20/17 05:39:31AM

1,525 posts

Barry Neale:
I feel really sorry for anyone who takes this training thinking that they are going to learning from an expert. I have seen her explanation of the process and it is clear that she doesn't understand the methodology behind the process and because this she has added dissociation which is totally redundant (presumably between it doesn't work in the way she teaches it) and some woo woo nonsense that is just BS. So buyer beware!

Hi Barry,

There are experts, and there are "imperts," but it is still possible to make a great deal of money turning BS into gold. 

There is an old saying which goes, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. And those who can't teach, teach teachers!" I first learned hypnosis when i was sixteen from a book I purchased from an ad in a science fiction magazine for $4.50, and I've been using a variation of this method as my induction of choice ever since -- even in writing the induction chapter of the A.P.A. Handbook of Clinical Hypnosis.

Many hypnotists spend a great deal of time and money going from workshop to workshop, either to perfect their therapeutic techniques or to experience the latest trends in hypnosis for themselves. However, the success of a therapeutic intervention actually depends more on the client and the quality of the therapeutic relationship than it does on the specific hypnotic technique which is used.. If you construct an ideology that some people will accept, and if you relate well enough to your clients to get them to the point that they believe that they are getting better, it doesn't matter much what else you do. Since most of these highly-touted and pricey procedures work at least some of the time, this creates a "partial reinforcement effect" in many students of hypnosis which causes them to try even more advanced workshops, in the hope that they will eventually get it perfect -- in the same way that a laboratory rat who is only rewarded occasionally will work even harder than one that is rewarded all the time. In humans, cognitive dissonance is also at work: we tend to increase the value which we place on something to bring it in line with the price we have paid for it, so we don't have to believe that we have been made to look foolish.

Best regards,

Don

updated by @don-g: 08/20/17 04:07:52PM

Share This